In this episode of Fearless Rebelle Radio, I give you an epic guide to body image and body positivity with tons of theory on all of the most important concepts, including the societal and psychological influences that construct our body image, the importance of looking at self-worth, a description of the popular terminology and what the body positivity movement is all about.
In this episode, I talk about: What is your body image and what are symptoms of a poor body image
- The relationship between beauty standards and body image.
- The social and psychological factors that contribute to the way we feel about our bodies
- What it means to have a positive body image and busting some common myths
- The different stages we go through in order get to a place where we feel comfortable in our skin
- An abbreviated summary of popular terminology in the body positive /anti-diet community, including, diet culture, health at every size (HAES), thin privilege and fatphobia
- Body positivity 101 – what the movement is all about and why it’s so much more than half-naked selfies
- Plus so much more!
Links mentioned in the show:
- FREE Download: Top 10 Signs Your Body Image Could Use a Tune-Up
- Get on the early notification list for Rock Your Body (scroll half-way down and put your name and email in the opt-in box)
Books, podcasts, magazines mentioned:
- Health At Every Size, by Linda Bacon
- Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls, by Jes Baker
- FabUPlus Magazine
- BeUtiful Magazine
- FRR #77 with Virgie Tovar – history of diet culture
- FRR #76 with Michelle Elman – why healthy is not the new skinny
Articles and other references mentioned in the show:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, PBS, National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
- The National Eating Disorder Information Centre, Symptoms of a poor body image
- Ragen Chastain – Fat Activist
- National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
- 3 Important Lessons From My Mistakes as a Thin Ally to Fat Acceptance Movements, by Melissa A. Fabello
- What it Means to be Body Positive – Buzzfeed article
- Body Positivity Doesn’t Exist Without Black Lives Matter by Ashleigh Shackelford
Don’t forget, I’m on iTunes!!! You can be one of my kick-ass subscribers. Also, I would be SO GRATEFUL if you took 2 minutes to leave a review. Click on “Reviews and Ratings” and then “Click to Rate”.