In this episode of Fearless Rebelle Radio, I chat with Lyndsey Averill and Viri Lieberman, the creators of the movie Fattitude – a documentary that exposes how popular culture fosters fat prejudice and then offers an alternative way of thinking – on fat acceptance, thin privilege and body positivity and why they created Fattitude to change our culture to eradicate size prejudice.
In this episode, we chat about:
- The inspiration behind the movie Fattitude and why Lyndsey and Viri created it
- Lyndsey and Viri’s personal experiences that led them to want to create this film
- How diet culture and the beauty industry has co-opted “body positivity” for their capital gains
- Whether weight loss and fat acceptance can go hand-in-hand
- How the media’s representation of fat bodies perpetuates size discrimination
- Why “health” is becoming the new guise for diet culture
- The insidious ways fatphobia exists in our culture and why changing our language and words can contribute to it
- What it means to have thin privilege and why it’s important to acknowledge that it exists
- How you can support the film to bring it into film festivals and create cultural change
- Plus so much more!
Connect with Fattitude:
Don’t forget, I’m on iTunes!!! You can be one of my kick-ass subscribers. Also, I would be SO GRATEFUL if you took 2 minutes to leave a review. Click on “Reviews and Ratings” and then “Click to Rate”.