I love a good spin-off… some of my favourite shows have been spin-offs….Degrassi the Next Generation (when Drake was still Jimmy…I still get teary eyed when I see him walking now), 90210 (I am not-so-secretly devastated by its recent cancellation) and my new fav, The Carrie Diaries. Yes, I’m still 14 years old inside. This recipe is a ‘spin-off’ of the Sausage & Cabbage recipe in The Primal Blueprint cookbook. Eggs can get super boring and this non-egg Kale & Sausage recipe smacks some flair back into your breakfast. It’s one of our favourite meals for breakfast or dinner. Make it in advance and allow yourself additional time for sleep.
1 pound of good quality sausages (gluten, sugar and chemical free from a pastured animal) – cut into 1-2 inch chunks
2 bunches of kale (I prefer to use Lacinato or Black Kale for this recipe) – stems removed and chopped. Use a slicing blade of your food processor to chop the kale in order to save time and get it to a more favourable texture. If I’m using a food processor, I leave the stems on.
2 tsp coconut oil or ghee
1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. While oven is pre-heating, heat coconut oil in a non-stick skillet to a med-high heat.
3. Add sausage to the pan and cover. Reduce to a medium heat and cook for 6 minutes. Flip sausages and cook for another 6 minutes or until they are cooked through.
4. Place kale in a baking dish.
5. Once sausages are cooked, pour them directly on top of the kale including the juices (a.k.a the fat…mmmm) from the pan. Mix around to ensure juice from the pan is spread evenly.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and toss around to mix the tasty goodness of the sausage with the kale. If the kale is not cooked through, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
My husband looooooves this recipe, but unfortunately does not love my taste in spin-offs….unless they came back with a Supermarket Sweep spin-off – then we’d both be in TV heaven.